As a part of implimentation of Justice Rajindar Sachar Committee Report, and consequent to Paloli Muhammed Kutty Committee report a Minority Cell was constituted under General Administration Department Kerala Government Secretariat, during April 2008. Subsequently a Minority Welfare Department was constituted in the State. This Department is the nodal agency of the schemes being implemented by the Central and State Minority Welfare Department. The Directorate of Minority Welfare Department is located in Thiruvananthapuram.
Functions and Activities of the Department.
I. Monitoring and Evaluation of
i. the activities of the minority cells attached to the all District collectorates in Kerala. These cells are constituted for co-ordinating the Minority Welfare activities in each district.
ii. the distribution of Muslim girls scholarship, hostel stipent etc.
iii. Kerala State Madrassa Teachers Welfare fund.
iv. Coaching Centres in the State started for free coaching to minority youths for the competitive examinations conducted by the Union Public Service Commission, Kerala Public Service Commission, Banking Service Recruitment Boards, Railway Recruitment Board and other agencies.
v. Prime Ministers new 15th point programme.
vi. Execution and monitoring of the Multi sectoral Development Programme (MSDP), a Central scheme being implemented in Wayanad district in Kerala.
vii. Matters relating to formulation of a State Minority Commission.
viii. Process of Information of Kerala State Minority Finance Development Corporation.
ix. Implementation and supervision of all future activities in connection with the welfare of minority communities.
x. Supervision of the construction of health cum sanitory complexes which are being constructed in costal Govt. Schools in selected districts with State fund.
2. Establishment and staff under the control of this Department.
1. Office of the Kerela Madrassa Teachers Welfare Scheme located in Kozhikodu District and its staff who are appointed on deputation basis.
2. Minority Welfare sections constituted in all district collectorates in the State and the only one Lower Division Clerk attached to these sections in each district who are appointed through Kerala State Public Service commission.
3. The 6 Coaching Centres for minority youths functioning in 5 districts and the staff attached to it appointed on contract basis.
4. The Data Entry Operator and Supervisor who were appointed on contract basis in the Collegiate Education Department for distribution of the scholarship and hostel stipent for the Muslim girls.
5. Minority Welfare Directorate, its Director, Finance Officer(One),Administrative Officer (One),Project Officer (One), Juniour Superindent(One), Information cum Research Officer(One), Supervisor(One), Clerks(Four),Typist Cum Computer Operator,(One),Data Entry Operator cum Confidential Assistant (One), C.A to Director(One), Peon (Three), Driver (One).
3. The Schemes being implemented under this department.
1. Scholarship and hostel stipend for Muslim girls. This scheme is fully meant for muslim girls, from 2008-2009. This schemes are implemented by means of States budjet allocation. The Scholarships and hostel stipents are given for muslim girls studying for Graduation, Post Graduation and Professional Courses in Government and Aided Educational Institutions. The muslim girls who are studiying in Self financing Colleges on Govt. Quota are also eligible for this scholarship and stipent. From 2010-2011, 20% of the budjet allocation in this schemes is earmarked for Latin Catholics and converted Christians. In addition to these 2000 scholarships are given to the respective hostellers in amount of Rs. 10,000/- per year.
2. Coaching Centres for Muslim Youth 16 Coaching centres for muslim youths for giving free coaching for competetive examinations conducted by Union Public Service Commission,Kerala Public Service Commission, Banking Service recruitment boards, Railway Recruitment Board and other agencies are functioning in Kollam, Ernakulam, Malappuram, Kozhikodu and Kannur, Districts. One Principal, One Computer Operator, one LDC, one Peon etc are attached to each centres. These appointments are on contract basis. Principals of Coaching Centres are appointed from Principals, Senior grade/ selection grade lectures retired from colleges. They are paid with a consolidated amount of Rs. 25,000/-. The classes are conducted through different faculties and they are paid on hour basis (Rs. 300/-per one hour). All infrastructure fecilities are provided with the coaching centres. A State level academic committee headed by the Secretary, Minority Welfare Department is also monitoring and planning the academic activities. The coaching is completely free of cost.
3. Kerala Madrassa Teachers Welfare Scheme – Pension Scheme an office for the above purpose is started in Kozhikodu District during 2009 February and the distribution of membership to this scheme is started during July 2010. A Madrassa teacher having twenty year can enter into this scheme and he can continue up to 65 years. Monthly Subscription is Rs. 50/- by the teachers and Rs. 50/- has to be shared by the Madrassa Committee. The pension after the age of retirement will range Rs 500 to Rs. 5200/- according to their period of membership. An amount of Rs. Ten crore is deposited in the District Co-Operative Bank, Kozhikodu as corpus fund for this scheme.
4. Construction of health-cum-sanitations complexes for girls in Govt. Schools in costal areas. Administration sanction was received on 31-3-2011 for the project of constructing 536 urinal complexes and 305 toilet complexes in 284 Govt. Schools in Minority concentrated areas in the State. The estimated cost for this project is Rs. 723.21 lakhs. This project is implimented through the Co-operation of the Local self Govt. Department and General Education Department and the consrtuction is done by the Kerala Suchithwa Mission, a State Government Agency.
5. Multi Sectoral Development Programme (MSDP)(2007-2012) This is a Centrally sponsered scheme being carried out in 90 Districts in India. These districts are selected by Central Minority Welfare Department. Wayanadu is the only Districts in Kerala selected under this scheme. Rs. 15 Crores is earmarked by the union Government this district. The details of this scheme implemented in Wayanad.
1Construction 10 building to Hospital Sub centres.18015327
||Name of the project
||Estmated cost(in lakhs)
||Central scheme(in lakhs)
||State scheme(in lakhs)